Saturday, January 23, 2010

Reflection on the Lectionary: St. Agnes

Song of Solomon 2:10-13

My beloved speaks and says to me:

"Arise, my love, my fair one,
and come away;
for now the winter is past,
the rain is over and gone.
The flowers appear on the earth;
the time of singing has come,
and the voice of the turtledove
is heard in our land.
The fig tree puts forth its figs,
and the vines are in blossom;
they give forth fragrance.
Arise, my love, my fair one,
and come away."

The Psalm
Psalm 45:11-16 Page 648, BCP
Eructavit cor meum

11
"Hear, O daughter; consider and listen closely; *
forget your people and your father's house.

12
The king will have pleasure in your beauty; *
he is your master; therefore do him honor.

13
The people of Tyre are here with a gift; *
the rich among the people seek your favor."

14
All glorious is the princess as she enters; *
her gown is cloth-of-gold.

15
In embroidered apparel she is brought to the king; *
after her the bridesmaids follow in procession.

16
With joy and gladness they are brought, *
and enter into the palace of the king.

or
Psalm 116:1-8 Page 759, BCP
Dilexi, quoniam

1
I love the LORD, because he has heard the voice of my supplication, *
because he has inclined his ear to me whenever I called upon him.

2
The cords of death entangled me;
the grip of the grave took hold of me; *
I came to grief and sorrow.

3
Then I called upon the Name of the LORD: *
"O LORD, I pray you, save my life."

4
Gracious is the LORD and righteous; *
our God is full of compassion.

5
The LORD watches over the innocent; *
I was brought very low, and he helped me.

6
Turn again to your rest, O my soul, *
for the LORD has treated you well.

7
For you have rescued my life from death, *
my eyes from tears, and my feet from stumbling.

8
I will walk in the presence of the LORD *
in the land of the living.

Matthew 18:1-6

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a child, whom he put among them, and said, "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

"If any of you put a stumbling block before one of these little ones who believe in me, it would be better for you if a great millstone were fastened around your neck and you were drowned in the depth of the sea."

No comments: