Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election results.....

Though I'm conflicted about Barack Obama, and far from enthusiastic about many aspects of the Democratic agenda, this is a great day for the United States. We have just shown that a black man can be elected to the highest office in the land. Anyone who voted for Obama, anyone who volunteered for him, anyone who worked for him, you should all be proud of yourselves. Congratulations on a job well done, and congratulations on making history. I didn't vote for Obama, I voted for Nader, but all in all I think Obama was better than McCain on most issues. So I'm hapy for you and happy for the country. You have power: please use it well.

On to ballot questions. I voted against the stem-cell ballot question in my state, of course, and was disappointed that it passed. I was even more disappointed that South Dakotans voted against a bill that would have banned most abortions in that state, and that California defeated a bill recquiring parental notification if teenagers wanted an abortion. What were people thinking? These results make me very sad, and very doubtful about the chance, in the near future, of building a culture of life in the United States.

At least we do have a strengthened Democratic majority in the House and Senate, and we can expect them to do a better job of protecting the environment, and pursuing a less belligerent foreign policy. We can only hope.

No comments: